Struggling Through Book Edits
Hey everyone! It’s been a couple weeks, and I just wanted to say a quick hello.
- I’m in the middle of some time-consuming book edits so that’s where all my free time is going lately. (I stared at my computer screen so long I got a migraine and had to take a few days off. But I was “in the zone” as they say.)
- I got the test reviews back for my book and 90% of it was positive…
Allowing Someone to Live Rent Free in my Head
- One reader had a negative comment about the motive… and it threw me in a tailspin.
- I spent a few weeks agonizing over what, if any, revisions I should make based on that one reader.
Realistically, I know I can’t make everyone happy, but the people-pleaser/perfectionist in me came out in full force, wanting to change every little detail to make that reader happy, even though I had my reasons for writing it the way I did. It didn’t matter what anyone said to reassure me; this anonymous test reader had more power than anyone, including myself.
- I realize now how ridiculous that sounds.
- I started writing because I love telling stories and immersing myself in other worlds.
- I started this publishing journey because several people thought what I created would bring others joy. So, I’m going to hold onto these thoughts as I move forward.
- There’s enough space in this world for people to hate what I do or love it and everything in between. Regardless, I should keep doing me. (Please remember that the next time you second-guess yourself.)
That reader did get me to go back and analyze a few other areas of my book that I’m now fine-tuning, and I will forever be grateful for that.
As I dive back into edits, I’m taking this quote with me:
“You don’t start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap, thinking it’s good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it. That’s why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence.”
— Octavia E. Butler
And ain’t that the truth.
Hopefully, I can share my book cover art soon. It’s in the final stages. 😊
One response to “Struggling Through Book Edits”
Don’t you love it when your child teaches you a lesson you’ve spent months trying to teach them… and by love, I mean absolutely hate because you’re annoyed in the moment? Well, that happened to me this week. My five-year-old did a little reverse parenting on me. What Happened I may have yelled at my… Continue reading Did My Child Just Throw My Lesson Back in My Face? Yes, Yes He Did.
I’m publishing my first novel this year!
Okay, so that hiding under a blanket thing lasted a lot longer than I intended. Life’s been crazy adjusting to a new job (which I love) while raising two kids and trying to do life. I spend A LOT of time writing at work, and when I come home, I’m creatively drained. But I’d be… Continue reading Work in Progress